What Will My Probation Look Like?
The terms of your probation, including how long it lasts, will be laid out in the order of probation, which describes what you are required to do. The most basic terms of probation require a criminal defendant to:
- Meet regularly with your probation officer by phone or in person
- Appear at all court hearings
- Pay fines and restitution (money to victims)
- Not travel out of state without permission of your probation officer
- Follow all local, state, and federal laws
- Avoid illegal drug use.
Depending on the charge and the circumstances in your case you may also be required to:
- Avoid contact with the victim
- Avoid places connected with the crime
- Take drug and alcohol testing
- Attend substance abuse programs
- Attend mental health programs.